Tuesday 12 August 2008

Black Sticks Defeat Korea

Watched my first game of Hockey tonight, the Kiwi men's team (the Black Sticks) vs. the Korean team. It was nail-biting stuff during the first half of the game, with Korea leading 1-0, courtesy of a penalty corner early in the game. Thankfully a friend told me a few things about the game in general, and some rules, so I wasn't completely ignorant to what was happening.



In the second half, 28 year old Hayden Shaw pulled off a hatrick, leaving the Koreans mourning after a 3-1 defeat dealt to them by the team from down under. As far as I know, this game was heat 4, a qualifying match for the semi-finals. Go the Blacksticks!

Huh, check this out, they were playing a game pretty similar to hockey 4,000 odd years ago in Egypt. Click here for some more ancient pictures of (naked) guys playing versions of games that we still play today.

4 comments:

  1. You didn't know how hockeys rules? How doesn't that surprise me- I guess the easiest way to describe it would be "It's like soccer on a stick"... that should actually be their campaign to make it more popular in some countries...
    Good to see you enjoying the games. I've been loving the Volleyball especially- gotta love both versions of the game,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh, yeah, true, it is like soccer on a stick. Haven't watched any volleyball yet... Is this Nathan Sinclair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Livi, but then in someways I don't.
    Isabella

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.