Monday 31 March 2008

Earth Hour 2008

Links:
Press Release: Christchurch Earth Hour a Set-up.
TV3's coverage of Earth Hour, including short interview with myself.

A group of Act on Campus members attended the Earth Hour event in Cathedral Square tonight. We handed out over 1,000 leaflets and graphs to the people gathered in front of the lit up screen. It must have been one darn powerful, power-hungry projector, displaying the movie The Eleventh Hour on the inflatable screen. As Leonardo DiCaprio read out his lines on pollution and disease and global warming and all kinds of things, we experimented with our two powerful spotlights.

One highlight of the evening was a chat with Christchurch Mayor, Bob Parker. He stood on the steps by the Cathedral, wearing his Earth Hour tee-shirt, and took the graph (below) that I offered him.

I pointed out the several peaks on the graph, that have occured throughout recent history, and mentioned that we are currently coming out of a little ice age. "They're overdoing it" Bob said. "It comes down to commonsense, really". He explained his pragmatic reasoning for getting behind the event "It's great publicity for Christchurch, we couldn't refuse it". He didn't say anything along those lines when he got up on the stage to thank everyone for coming out. But heck, you can't blame him, he's a politician.

A TV camera arrived, and they caught Josh a bit un-prepared. He did well off the cuff, and for the first question, when asked him why he opposed Earth Hour, quite simply and to the point, said "it's crap". I did a bit of thinking and then gave the media guys a bit more to think about.

One young lady who took a leaflet from me was holding a candle. I pointed to the candle, "it'll create carbon" I said. She looked at me, eyes wide open, and in the same instant put the candle in her pocket. "Read the leaflet" I said as she walked away. Ahh, Josh and I had a good laugh.

"We're anti-turn-the-lights-off" Josh said to a young guy as he walked past.

Meanwhile, a group of young guys walked down towards the cathedral reading their leaflets. Something must have clicked, because one of the guys turned on his heel and ran flat out towards me, covering the 30 odd metres in record time. He hi-fived me, exitedly saying "keep it up" a few times. I handed him a few more of the leaflets as he ran back to his mate.

We rounded the night off with a feed at Burger King, where we discussed further action and made good use of the free drink refills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.