Sunday 4 November 2007

Yesterday

Yesterday I's out in town collecting signatures for the petition for a referendum on the new anti-smacking law - see here for more info: www.unityforliberty.net.nz. For the first two or three hours I had two mums and an eleven-year old boy helping me. He had kind of red hair too, so I was wondering if people thought I was his brother...

People often take pictures of us when we're out collecting signatures, today was the most ever - had to have been five or six.

Had some interesting people past the table.
  • Three girls who had all pretty recently turned 18 were more than happy to sign.
  • A group of Emo boys - probably all about 14 - were wanting to sign. I asked them if they were 18 and they walked away annoyed.
  • Two girls came over to the table while their dad stood nearby, on the phone, maybe 14 and 12 years old. "Can we sign?". I asked them if they were over 18. They like it if you sound as if you think that they may be almost 18. Nope... they walked away - as soon as dad was off the phone, he was over here signing.
  • A bunch of three guys my sister's age - I knew one of them, they wanted to sign, but of course they couldn't, too young.
  • And this one guy with a teal/blue shirt with a picture of a fat buddah, and the words "I have the body of a god". "Nice shirt" I complimented him. He told me his girl-friend had given it to him.
  • The guy with the tartan 3/4's and studs all over him didn't look to happy when I told him that I was "loving your trousers, aye". He didn't sign, but his mate did.
  • The guy from the UK holding a guitar in a cardboard box. "I coompleetly ****ing disagree with what yer doing".
  • A couple of girls and their mum came over. One of the girls signed - I think the other was too young. I asked the mother why she wasn't signing - she said she thought the new law was absolutely stupid. So I said, well you'd probably like to sign the top one here then. She refused and I said "whatever". Heck, it gets pretty frustrating. She walks away saying "whatever?" in a disbelieving way - how could he have said that?
  • The family from Holland with 3 little children. They were great. They didn't even get angry when I asked them if they were from Germany. They were totally supportive of the petition and wished they could sign.
Ah, well, that's about all I can remember now... It was a pretty full on day. We got 222 signatures in 7 hours which is a very good ratio for Christchurch at this stage in the game.

Food:

1 thumping great 1.25L bottle of Pump.
2 cold Whoppers from Burger King
2 bottles of V Berry
half a pack of Extra white sugar-free chewing-gum
Some just-juice in a E2 bottle that my younger brother gave me

4 comments:

  1. Andy, what a great bunch of people you had come past !! At the table I was at there was 1 lady who stood next to the table for 5 minutes (while her friend signed)chanting in quite a loud voice "we need to be violence free and that starts today with me" or something like that. She was an expert at getting signatures, I thought about employing her !!!

    By the way 435 signatures collected, this is before taking off some bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 435 is good. We made 1,000+ signatures Nation-wide yesterday, great effort!

    Heheh, I got more that Craig - I gave him a hard time about it.

    See you this afternoon bro!

    Should be at the airport at um, 3pmish. As I said, I'll txt when I get there - should be the Air NZ terminal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet as bro, look forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, we haven't quite gotten to this where I come from but we are getting there. Rather scary I think, but with people like you out there maybe we have a chance. The Timmy's shall not rule this world!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.