Thursday 4 December 2008

Herald of Lies

I need to respond to the false reporting in the Herald over the issue of my complaint to the Electoral Commission about Rodney Hide's yellow jacket.

1. The Herald claims that Mr. Hide and I planned my complaint to the Electoral Commission together. "Act leader Rodney Hide's indignation at the Electoral Finance Act is nothing but a jacket jack-up." - 5 Nov 08. This claim is completely without founding, and categorically untrue. Both Mr. Hide and I have told the media that neither of us spoke to the other about the complaint at any stage. Further, I did not discuss the complaint with any member of the ACT party until the story came out in the Dominion Post on 5 November. Interesting to note that the then Prime Minister Helen Clark was quick to misrepresent the incident, claiming that it was a "stitch-up" and saying, "Act complained wanting their name to be kept out of it, so that they could create a fuss around the Electoral Finance Act." - 5 Nov 08.
I emailed the editor of the Herald, asking him why the Herald was not being truthful. All he could say was "Thanks for your email. We stand by our story". He had no answer as to why his newspaper had lied about myself and Mr. Hide.

2. Following the news of the Electoral Commission handing the case over to the Police, the Herald states that I "proudly posed in photos with a yellow-coated Mr Hide and posted them on the internet." - 4 Dec 08. The Herald is certainly doing its best to live up to its maxim, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". It may seem inconsequential, however the Herald has intentionally spun this sentence in order to make me appear ridiculous. Fact is, I posted one photo of myself and Mr. Hide on my blog (not multiple photos as the Herald states) - and who's to say that I "proudly posed" with him?
It is also unprofessional, and potentially unlawful of the Herald to not only take the photo from my blog and post it on their website, but also to neglect to reference its source.

It would appear as if the Herald is quite willing to sacrifice truth for the sake of a sensational story, and in doing so, are attempting to compete with the tabloids.

5 comments:

  1. Missuse of a plural and unsubstantiated accusations of pride. The media knows no bounds Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. write a 200 wd letter to tthe editor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, if I were you I would be absolutly furious! I HATE it when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy make a formal complaint to the press council. Check out their website and contact them, it's easy.

    Make sure you inform the Herald that their justification for misrepresenting you is inadequate and that you are making a formal complaint. That should at the very least ensure they take more care with future articles.

    The media are not your friends, at the end of the day they are in business and we all know what sells media.

    Stand your ground. Your actions are making it very easy for National to justify getting rid of the EFA. The left is going to look incredibly silly now if they try to defend the Act that can do people over for their choice in clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.