Saturday 24 May 2008

5-12 Memorial

I was walking through Cathedral Square today, at around 5:30pm. Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis was playing through a powerful set of speakers in the back of a van parked near the Cathedral. I was drawn to the group of people who were now gathering around ...something, I couldn't see so I went up closer. Candles in clear plastic glasses were being laid out on the tiles of Cathedral Square. A memorial service for those who lost their lives in the terrible earthquake of Sichuan, China on 12 May this year. And an opportunity for us to show our support for those who survived, to stand beside them as they attempt to rebuild their lives.

"The death toll from the China earthquake has reached 60,560 and could rise to 80,000 or more, the Chinese government said today." - Guardian








I was handed a candle of my own. A sober-faced young chinese man pulled out his gas-lighter and lit it for me.

Two young Chinese people stood by the microphones. The man addressed the crowd in Chinese, followed by a translation from the woman. The stilted English made this even more moving than it would otherwise have been - the heartfelt message coming through strongly, despite the many grammatical mistakes. After being given an overview of the situation, another lady was invited to take a microphone on the steps at the base of the cathedral, and deliver her "mourning speech". This was a heart-rending speech - and if I knew Mandarin I'm sure I would have let a tear or two escape. The volume was up very loud and the pained voice of the speaker echoed from the surrounding buildings.

The size of the group grew, and I looked around me at my Chinese brothers and sisters. I was one of the few "white people" present. It must be so hard for them, they're here, and there's not much they can do to help, they're so far away from home.

When Minister of Commerce, Lianne Dalziel took the microphone I decided it was time to head home. I handed my candle to a man standing at the back of the crowd who hadn't managed to get one, and deep in thought, made my way to the bus exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.