Thursday 30 August 2007

Today

My favourite song of Today is Ring True by the band Poor Old Lu. Scott Hunter is the vocalist for this excellent band, which released their final album (and arguably their best) in 2001. Aaron Sprinkle - who usually plays guitar and sings background vocals, does the lead vocals in this song. The first thirty-odd seconds of the song are excellent. Aaron has since released four solo albums, which are quite nice - I have three of these. Recently, Aaron has started up a new band, Fair, with Poor Old Lu member Nick Barker.

I was up kind of late. I chatted with some people on Skype. Mum rolled up at a bit past midnight, and we checked out Air New Zealand's cheap flights. Found a $74 return flight, so I booked a trip to Auckland for November 5 - 10. The plan is stay at Gran's place in Tauranga for a few nights, and catch up with her. I slept on the couch for a few hours. My V360 cellphone alarms went off consecutively. Annoying, catchy pop tunes, ambient ringtones. I disabled them all in my subconscious awareness. Ignoring my alarms has become ingrained in me, second nature, an integral part of my morning. And to think that I once worked at a bakery, waking up at 4:30am every morning, biking through the freezing anathema to my place of work, The Village Bakehouse, 211b Ilam Road. Mum entered the lounge. The night-store heater had been going flat out all night, and it was warm. I rose onto an elbow and looked behind me towards the kitchen. My mind blurred by sleep, I heard Mum remonstrate. Hi Mum. I pushed the dinosaur duvet away from me and stood up. It was light. Dad was leaving for work at 8 and I had a bit of time.

I walked down the hallway, my cellphone in the right hand pocket of my pair of R. M Williams jeans. They were a cross between jeans and trousers, and are of high quality. I won't dwell on the fact that I bought them at a garage sale for about $5. The back right pocket was ripped at the top right hand corner, and it was possible for those behind me, if they were observant, to see more than they may have expected to see, and I will leave it at that.

Shower.

The black & grey checkered shirt with the army jersey on top. The R. M. Williams jeans which passed a casual glance as dress trousers. The black leather shoes that needed polishing. I had bought these from younger brother Si. Everytime he gets a new pair of shoes, so do I. His feet are bigger than mine, so I wear two pairs of socks. On Saturday night, Jason had given me some cosmetic products.

To be continued...

"Call it excessive, and you'd be right" - Andy Moore 2007

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.